I started out following The Skinny Rules to the letter last Monday. By the time I got home from work, I realized I was going to need to modify the plan so that I wouldn’t feel like I was dying every time I ate a vegetable (this girl does not need to increase her fiber intake is all I’m sayin’). So, I’m selectively following the “rules”, which actually served me well last week.
So, last week I came up with a modified plan:
- I cut the sugar in my morning coffee & oatmeal by half.
- No dried (sweetened) cranberries in my oatmeal.
- Increased water consumption – I was consistently getting 6-7 glasses a day, but following Bob’s rules increased that to 10 minimum.
- No sugar sweetened drinks (except for the previously mentioned coffee).
- I resisted the call of the cupcake truck at work, even though I could hear the generator for it running outside my office window.
- Allowing for a splurge day (within reason). Basically, trying to follow the 80/20 rule – eat healthy at least 80% of the time.
So, how did that work out? I am down 2.5 pounds in a week, just by tracking my food, making sure I snack sensibly, and staying around 1500 calories/day. That is without any increased activity (I still have not been to the gym). I think having planned “snacks” helped the most, as I didn’t find myself hitting that 2:30 slump at work and having nothing around to eat (which would inevitably lead to bag of Fritos or something chocolate or (some days) both the Fritos and the chocolate).
This week I plan to continue this way while adding some exercise into the plan, even if the exercise is just me going to the gym and walking on the treadmill for 30 minutes. And next week hopefully I will have something more entertaining to share here.