FO: Commuter Mitts

Winter snuck up on me this year – 60 degree days well into November, days even early this month where I didn’t need to break out the heavy winter coat. So when we were faced with a few days last week in the 30s and 40s, I realized I needed some new convertible mitts for my hands – I love having my fingers free while juggling my keys and everything else, but then I want to cover them up for the quarter-mile trudge from my car to the office.

A quick search of my ravelry queue & favorites reminded me about the Commuter Mitts – I loved the idea behind them when they showed up on Knitty a couple months ago, so I pulled some Malabrigo from my stash & got down to work.

Commuter Mitts

Commuter Mitts

I love the contrast of the pink buttons with the blue-gray yarn.

Unfortunately, they work best as fingerless mitts only. The part that wraps around my fingers refuses to stay buttoned at this point, so I’ve given up on using them that way (and have, in a moment of cold-fingered desperation, started working on the Snapdragon Flip-Tops). They do keep my hands nice & toasty warm, though – it’s just my poor little fingers that get the freeze-out.

Commuter Mitts

Commuter Mitts

Details:
Yarn: Malabrigo Twist in Green Gray – 1 skein (I had about 7g left from both mitts)
Needles: Size 6 KP interchangeables (I went up 2 sizes as I’m a tight knitter)
Buttons: Found in a multi pack I had purchased for another reason.
Started/Finished: November 29 – December 4, 2011.
Notes: Even though I went up 2 needle sizes* & used a slightly bigger yarn, my gauge was still very close to what the pattern called for. Stephanie (designer) said she has small hands & wrote the mitts to fit her, but I found that the mitts, while snug, fit me as written. I would probably go up an extra needle size for the top ribbing if I were to make these for myself again – I think that maybe it won’t stay buttoned over my fingers because of the extra stretch required to get them buttoned (well, that and a super small button for a large buttonhole, but that’s what the pattern said to do). Perhaps with a looser rib they’d work well covering up my frozen fingers.

*I almost always have to go up 2 needle sizes because I am a tight knitter, but I thought that combined with the yarn would give me more of a gauge difference than I had. The pattern calls for 21sts/4″ while I had 20sts/4″.

And today’s musical number – I just can’t help it, I love this song at Christmas.

Advertisements