FO: Flowershop Inferno Socks

Early this week I finished a pair of socks that had been in my WIP pile for a very very long time. VERY long. You may remember these socks from when I discovered my gauge had changed and had to rip out the first half of the second sock.

Swirl Socks

But, finally, after more than 2 years since I started them, I have finished these socks. (I think it’s clear that I am not a monogamous knitter.) Because of my gauge issues, the socks aren’t exact mirror images of each other. I was able to re-establish my stitch gauge, but my row gauge was never the same. They’re still fantastic. I can’t wait until it’s chilly enough to break out the hand knit socks more often.

Swirl Socks

Pattern: Swirl Socks by Sulafaye (available free here)
Yarn: Dyeabolical Alter Ego (discontinued base, might I suggest Strong Arm Skinny in it’s place?) in Flower Shop Inferno.
Needles: KP circulars, size 1 1/2 (I had to do the foot of sock 2 on size 0 needles to maintain gauge).
Mods: So many. I modified the pattern for fingering weight yarn, so I had to make some changes. CO 14 stitches with Judy’s Magic Cast On, increase to 72 stitches on the needle. Established 3 slip stitch swirls on first pattern row, then continued with those, adding new swirls where indicated in the pattern. Followed the basic slip stitch heel pattern from Wendy Johnson’s Socks From the Toe Up for measurements & such through the foot, though I did the heel as eye of partidge. Ended with a 2×2 rib instead of picot edge.

Okay, go away now. I have more socks to knit.

Advertisements