In my quest to conquer my fear of baking with yeast, when Rachel suggested that these Golden Globe Cupcakes from Cupcake Project would be ever so nice for her birthday, I agreed to give them a go. On a work night. On top of that, I made a last minute decision to make my own caramel sauce to drizzle over some kettle corn for the topping.
Clearly, I am insane.
Being from St. Louis myself, I am well aware of the gooey butter cake & the topping on these cupcakes tastes perfect. Sweet, but just the right amount of sweet. I’ve had gooey butter cake before that was too sweet for me and I love sugar. This topping turned out to be what I expect my gooey butter cake to taste like.
As for my crust? Well, I think there’s just too much of it. I also had trouble gauging whether or not it had risen at all or even if it had risen enough, but I decided to go with it. I used the extra active yeast (rapid rise, I guess?) and still had to wait at least 90 minutes for it to rise.
Now, let’s talk about the caramel. I went with the salted caramel sauce recipe from Smitten Kitchen again. And again, I burned the first batch, though this time I realized it before adding the butter & cream. What I failed to remember before starting the second batch in a different pot was that the butter & cream were what was going to keep the caramel from hardening into a giant chunk of burned sugar. Ooops. I did, however, realize that was going to happen & got the pot soaking in water before it hardened completely. And then when the second batch turned out perfectly, I may have eaten a spoonful while making yummy noises.
A few things to note, most mentioned in the source post/recipe:
- Goo to crust ratio needs to be higher. I went with the recipe as written ’cause I didn’t feel like doing math.
- The gooey part really can overflow. A lot. I overfilled my cups. See picture below for the aftermath.
- These are really REALLY buttery.
- A personal note – I found that using my small cookie scoop helped me get the crust and gooey parts into the liners a little easier. Knowing what I know now, I would definitely use something even smaller to divvy up the crust and probably not double gooey the tops like I did, but the cookie scoop still made life a lot easier.
Overall, I don’t feel like these cupcakes were much more effort than a “simpler” recipe. I had a few things go wrong, mostly because of user error. Like when I accidentally knocked my prepared yeast mixture over into the sink as I was trying to put flour in a different bowl. Or the caramel incident. And the overflow incident. Could have happened to anybody. And on another night, I’m sure everything would have gone smoothly – I just tried to cram too much into one evening (it wasn’t just the baking, but other around the house stuff) and had some minor issues.