I’ve just realized that there are food items in my flickr stream that never made it to any blog. So, let’s get started.
Back in July one of the local grocery stores had a sale on blackberries, so I bought some. Then they sat in my fridge until I had to do something with them, so I bought some more to have enough to make a blackberry cobbler. I merged a couple different recipes to create my cobbler, but the basis is this one from Betty Crocker.
- 3 pints fresh blackberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 2 tsp backing powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted*
- optional: whipped cream
*I ALWAYS use butter when I’m baking. I know that there are lower calorie options, but the flavor is SO MUCH BETTER with straight up butter. Margarine is not an option if I’m baking.
- Mix the blackberries & sugar together in a medium bowl, let stand about 20 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375 F
- Mix together dry ingredients (flour, spices, baking powder, salt) in large bowl. Stir in the milk, then the melted butter. Pour into an 8×8 square pan. Spoon blackberry mixture over the batter.
- If desired, sprinkle more sugar over the top of the blackberries.
- Bake 45-55 minutes, until golden brown.
(cross posted on The Kitchen Mirror)