As it’s been over a year since I completed the Rock Star Armwarmers, I thought I’d revisit them & finally dig out my notes & post the pattern. To refresh your memory, these were inspired by the armwarmers that Anthony Kiedis wore when I saw Red Hot Chili Peppers in concert on January 15, 2007 (you can see him wearing said armwarmers here).
I spent a good portion of the show memorizing what I could about them so that I could attempt to recreate a pair for myself. Originally there was going to be a heart on the left hand, but I decided that attempting intarsia for the very first time while working in the round would have just been crazy. So I went with stripes on the hand instead.
Either way, you can be your own Rock Star.
(Pattern after the jump)
What you’re gonna need:
- About 220 yards of a worsted weight yarn. I used 4 colors of Malabrigo – Black, Velvet Grapes, Apple Green, & Vermillion. If you want to do them in one color, you should be able to get a pair out of one skein of Malabrigo.
- Size US 6 (4.0mm) dpns (or size needed to get gauge)
- waste yarn or stitch holders for thumbs
- Stitch markers
- Gauge is 5 1/2-6 sts/inch. When I originally worked the armwarmers, I got 6 sts/inch, but when I remeasured today it came out a little looser.
- These were made to fit me, so they are approximately a Women’s Large and would probably stretch to fit Men’s Medium. To make them smaller, use smaller needles or just cast on fewer stitches.
- For a snugger fit, you may also try working these completely in 2×2 rib. It may eliminate the need for decreases.
(stripe patterns listed at end)
CO 60 sts.
Arrange stitches onto 3 dpns and join for working in the round.
PM to mark beginning of round.
Work 2×2 rib for 1 1/2″.
Switch to stockinette stitch and continue until work measures 5 inches total.
Begin arm decreases as follows:
Round 1: k1, k2tog, k to end of needle for EACH needle (3 decreases this round)
Round 2: k all
Repeat once more. (54 stitches remain)
Knit even until work measures 6 inches from cast on edge.
Repeat decrease rounds twice (48 stitches remain)
Knit even to 7 inches total.
Repeat decrease rounds twice (42 stitches remain)
Knit even to 9 inches total.
Set up row: Work to last 3 stitches of needle 1, pm, kfb, kfb, pm, k1. k to end of round.
Round 1: K even
Round 2: K to marker, slm, kfb, k to last stitch before marker, kfb, slm, k to end of round.
Repeat these two rounds until there are 18 stitches between markers.
Next round: work to marker (removing marker), k1, slip 16 stitches to waste yarn or stitch holder, CO 2 stitches in space using backwards loop method, k1, remove marker, k to end of round.
K 4 rounds in stockinette.
Work 2×2 rib for 1 inch.
L arm (black, red, purple):
Work each stripe for 3/4″ in the following order:
switch to black for approx 3″
switch to green for 2 rows
purple for 2 rows
red for 2 rows
switch back to black for remaining portion.
And finally, abbreviations:
k# – knit # of stitches
kfb – knit front & back
co – cast on
pm – place marker
slm – slip marker
k2tog – knit two together