we look out upon the sea

Let’s talk about the past few days in my world.

In case you didn’t notice or are not from St. Louis, it’s been raining here. For 3 solid days. Today it’s finally clearing up, but everything is wet. EVERYTHING.

Monday, I worked way way late – like 4 hours later than I was supposed to. Which in the grand scheme of life isn’t a big deal except that I had plans to get home and watch the return of new episodes of my shows* with Kathy and Mindy. Monday is TV night for Kara.

So I didn’t make it home in time for the shows, which was fine, especially since the boss told me to take Tuesday off since I’d worked so late.

I should have known the universe was going to fuck with me then. I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN.

Tuesday morning at 3:30 (which in my book was still Monday night) I woke up to the sound of an alarm going off. I couldn’t figure out what it was, but it sounded like it was outside. Except it wouldn’t stop. So I got up and stumbled around the house trying to figure out what it was and eventually made my way to the basement. I flipped the breaker, not that. I saw a little blue box on the wall and flipped it to off. The sound stopped. Yay! But, well, I didn’t know what it was.

About 3o seconds later as I’m trying to figure out what’s going on, Mindy stumbles down the stairs in her Lunesta-induced stupor and starts investigating – the sump pump wasn’t working right. So we trudged through the rain to the driveway with a few buckets of water trying to empty it out. Didn’t matter because the thing filled up again within 10 minutes. But it was fine until morning, even if I didn’t happen to fall back asleep.

Oh, morning. Mindy went to check on the pump and it was still not working, but not overflowing. At that moment. A few minutes later, she went back downstairs and the basement flooded. Luckily, most of the stuff is on a higher level. A couple hours, a few calls to various unavailable plumbers and some rock star engineering by Mindy later, the pump is working again. Yay! Mindy goes to work, I try to go back to sleep, yada yada yada. But I don’t get back to sleep, so I just get up and do stuff – run errands, sign the lease to my new (and currently dry) apartment, etc.

Here’s the thing – I was so tired and disoriented yesterday that I couldn’t figure out how to actually eat. I was starving, but I just kept doing things that didn’t involve putting food into my mouth. It was like my brain quit working and I was walking around in a daze. A cranky bitchy daze. I did get to take a short nap and that was better, but not enough sleep.

But, hey, I got to sleep through the night and wake up to a fine, if rainy, morning.

I swear to you, not 5 minutes after Mindy walked out the door for work this morning, it happened. The power went out to the entire block. No. Power. And I had not yet showered or started to get ready for work.

You know what else happens when the power goes out? The sump pump stops pumping and the ear splitting alarm goes off again.

But it wasn’t too bad, so I hopped in the shower in the dark, got clean, had the shower curtain fall on my head for the SECOND time in 2 days, and got ready for work. In the dark. And then since there was still no power, I saved a few things from the freezer and took them to Mindy at work for their freezer (because my work freezer is the smallest on the planet, so no help there). Got to work and found out the power was back on.

In addition, the floor on one of the upper basement levels is wet thanks to all this rain. Luckily everything is stored there in plastic or above the “water line”. And I’m happy that my stupidity did not cause my photo albums that were sitting in open milk crates on the floor to get ruined. Because that would have sucked even more.

Tonight was knit night, which is always fun, & now I’m waiting rather impatiently for my pizza to get here. Been craving a meat filled pizza for a couple days, so it’s time to cave to the desire. Mmm, meat.

*My shows – The Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother. Also a big fan of Two and a Half Men.